Monty Taft made an impression when he playing the BBC Music Introducing stage on Arts Sunday so his latest single Bloom is included and his fellow islanders from Jersey, Hot Plastic, feature too following a storming set at The Fermain Tavern.
From Guernsey there’s another band who played the Arts Sunday event Burning At Both Ends while Thee Jenerators, sort of, celebrate the life of Roky Erickson who passed away this month, so there also a track from the man himself. I would also have included something from the debut album by The Cor Damme Lars but it’s not made it onto Spotify yet.
Other than that we span everything from the rock ‘n’ pomp of Meat Loaf to the country strains of Emmylou Harris with a bit of The Dresden Dolls, Bauhaus and Kirsty MacColl thrown in for good measure.
As always the full Spotify list appears below this month’s picks.
- Monty Taft – Bloom (single)
- Roky Erickson & The Aliens – Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer) (from The Evil One)
- The Dresden Dolls – Coin Operated Boy (live) (from A Is For Accident)
- Burning At Both Ends – FAD Island (from Hail Apathy)
- Hot Plastic – Keep Up (single)
- Thee Jenerators – Roky Erickson Homesick Blues (from Rejeneration)
- Meat Loaf – Bat Out Of Hell (from Bat Out Of Hell)
- Bauhaus – Ziggy Stardust (from The Sky’s Gone Out)
- Kirsty MacColl – There’s A Guy Works Down The Chip Shop Swears He’s Elvis (from Desperate Character)
- Emmylou Harris – Red Dirt Girl (from Red Dirt Girl)
And my bonus track this month comes from Metallica who’ve recently been on tour in the UK And Europe and according to most reports seem to have found themselves again after many a troubled year (when I saw them back in 2010 it put me off seeing them live again, but I may reconsider), so here’s a video of them live at Slane Castle in Dublin playing Thin Lizzy classic Whiskey In The Jar in their own style: