Over the years on BBC Introducing Guernsey I’ve welcomed performers back into the studio as members of different bands several times.
One such is Matt Ward who first appeared on the show back in its early days as a member of indie band The Raffle, a couple of years ago he was back as a solo performer and now, for his third appearance and session, it’s as leader of The Secret Smiles who have been carving out their own niche on the island’s music scene with their brand upbeat, melodious, indie that combines the sounds of 90s British music with hints of the 1960s pop-folk revival movement.
They played a session for us as well as telling us how the band came together and how their year has been so far as they’ve solidified their line up and begun playing some high-profile gigs on Liberation Day, the Vale Earth Fair and supporting The Recks at their return show this past weekend.
- The Recks – Low Life
- HONEST CROOKS – Old Bones
- Byzanthian Neckbeard – The Ganch
- Burning At Both Ends – Someone Else
- Burning At Both Ends – Before You Go Away
- Buff Hudd and Flexagon – Drifitng (Into The Light)
- The Secret Smiles – Something In You (live)
- The Secret Smiles – I Will Never Let You Slip Through My Fingers Again (live)
- Nessi Gomes – These Walls
- Nessi Gomes – Diamonds and Demons
- Of Empires – Baby Darlin’ Sugar
- TANTALE – In The Heart
- Robert J. Hunter – Alone
- Clameur de Haro – Devil’s Hole (live)
- The Secret Smiles – Under City Lights (live)
- The Secret Smiles – Under The Sun (live)
- Brunt – Blackbeard